The Chambers of New Life Kung Fu
Formal Shaolin Kung Fu has no official sash ranking system. There are officially 3 stages of traditional Shaolin.
A Secular Disciple, Martial Monk and Master. A Secular Disciple is the beginning phase and a great number of students remain at this level until their master elevates them to the level of Martial Monk. One remains a Martial Monk until they become a Master.
Most Kung Fu schools have a ranking system and while there is no formal ranking system each school’s is different. Some have many level’s while others have none. The reason for a ranking system is to show ones achievements and to have something for the students to strive for. Another reason is for the instructor to know what level each student is at.
At New Life Kung Fu we keep as close to tradition as possible. We have 4 Sash ranks for students: Yellow, Blue, Red and Black. However these 4 Sash ranks are broken down into The Chambers Of New Life Kung Fu. The Chambers Of New Life Kung Fu give our students something to strive for and to display their achievements on their Sash.
Blue sash is for Junior Instructors and Red sash is for Senior Instructors. Instructor tests are only given to those students that meet the level of skill we feel positively represents New Life Kung Fu.
- Ready Position, Show and Ready Stance
- Ma Bu (馬步) Horse Stance
- Gong Bu (弓步) Bow and Arrow Stance
- Fú Hǔ Bù （伏虎步）Tiger Stance
- Jin Ji Du Li（金雞獨立）Rooster Stance
- Xuán Jī Bù （玄機步）Cat or Empty Stance
- Qi Lin Bu （麒麟步）Unicorn Stance
- Zuò Pán Bù （坐盤步）sitting on crossed legs stance, Lotus or Rest Stance
- 4/6 Fighting Stance
- Flat Punch, Vertical Punch and Back Fist
- Inward and Outward Blocking 4 position blocking
- Toe Kick, Heel Kick and Ramble Kick
- 3 Star Blocking Drill Low & High
- 8 Way Blocking Drill
- Fisted Blocking Drill
When you complete Chamber 1, This will be your 1st test. You will be testing for your Yellow Sash. This Yellow Sash shows that you are officially a Student of New Life Kung Fu. The cost for this test is $30.00, because it will take 1 private lesson of 1 hour to complete the test. Tests are not given during group classes.
- Tan Tui (Spring Legs) 1-4
- Tan Tui (Spring Legs) 5-8
- Tan Tui (Spring Legs) 9-12
- Lien Bu Quan (Continuous Stepping Sequence)
- Gung Li Quan (Power Fist Sequence)
- Zhan Zhuang (Sounds like Shan Shuang), Tree Pose Mediation Training/Brick Training
When you complete the above 7 Chambers you have completed Beginner Level Kung Fu and can now test for Blue Sash! The cost for this test is $30.00, because it will take 1 private lesson of 1 hour to complete the test. Tests are not given during group classes.
- Shaolin Staff 13 Basics Form
- Shaolin Staff Qi Mei Gun (Eye Brow Staff Sequence)
- Shaolin Staff Yin Shou Gun (Yin Hand Staff Sequence)
- Song Shen Wu Fa (Release Body Five Way)
When you complete the above 11 Chambers you have completed Intermediate Level I Kung Fu and can now test for Red Sash! The cost for this test is $60.00, because it will take 1 private lesson of 2 hours to complete the test. Tests are not given during group classes.
- Qi Xing Dao (7 Star Saber) Broadsword Form
- Shaolin 13 Spear Form
- Yang 37 Short Form Form
- Tui Shou (Push Hands)
When you complete the above 12 Chambers you have completed Intermediate Level II Kung Fu and can now test for Black Sash! The cost for this test is $90.00, because it will take 3 hours to complete the test. Tests are not given during group classes.
All the below hand forms are black sash level and are self study!
- Yi Lu Mai Fu
- Er Lu Mai Fu
- Shi Zi Tang
- Xiao Hu Yan
- San Lu Pao (三路跑) or Three Ways of Running
- Taizu Chuangquan
- Si Lu Cha Quan (四路查拳) or Fourth Way of Cha’s Fist
- Si Lu Ben Za (四路奔砸 ) or Four Way of Running and Smashing